Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Fraoch Heather Ale.


Yet another beer that has overstayed its welcome in my fridge. Heather ale is pretty uncommon; I think I've only had two or three others ever. An unhopped ale, it's instead brewed with heather flowers. I suppose the only other ingredient is malt, but I think the other heather ales had some serious spices. Fraoch, imported from its native Scotland doesn't indicate any such shenanigans, and so I presume it is unspiced.

Indeed, the taste is pretty mild, slightly floral, and maybe a little herbal. It is more like a tisane than anything else and slightly tannic. Unfortunately for me, it just doesn't do much for me. I won't go so far as to say that it's nondescript; it is a pleasant drinker but maybe a bit too easygoing for me at the moment. Interestingly, the bottle is stamped with a best-by date of March 2012.

  • Appearance: Crystal clear, light copper; mild head.
  • Smell: Sweet, honey, melon.
  • Taste: Mildly floral, slightly herbal, sweet light malt.
  • Mouthfeel: Fairly low carb and somewhat astringent.
  • Drinkability and Overall: Easy drinker, but not much up my alley.

No comments: