Thursday, June 10, 2010

George Dickel No. 12 Tennessee Whiskey.


I picked this up in Nashville since I the availability up here was questionable. George Dickel seems to be about the only major competitor to Jack Daniel's for Tennessee whiskies. It's been a long time since I've had JD though so the only standard of comparison I have right now are various bourbons.

For me, both the nose and palate are intensely wood-y and supple leather. I think I got a little banana on the finish of one sip.

It definitely doesn't have the same sweet vanilla of Knob Creek nor its bite. All in all, George Dickel is exceptionally smooth and much thinner in body than harder bourbons. The overall mouthfeel is very round.

While it's supposed to be a good sipping whiskey, I don't see myself ever reaching for this with any frequency over a solid bourbon or even a rye. Sorry, bud.

No comments: