Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Thirsty Bear and 21st Amendment.


I went to the Museum of Modern Art in SF for the afternoon. It was lame. Thirsty Bear is right next door and that was great. The food is tapas style and expensive so I didn't get anything since I was planning on eating at 21st Amendment anyway. In-house draft lift was nice, and I got a flight, though one was tapped out, which I forget. She ended up giving two of the same thing. Left column to right column, bottom up:

  • Farmhouse: banana, malt, apple, full without the wheat.
  • Howard St. IPA: more like a fizzy copper
  • Meyer ESB: slightly sweet malt, hopped enough, smooth mouthfeel, nitro'd, good ESB with a butter nose. Tried to get a growler, but alas, it is nitro'd.
  • Valencia Wheat: mild, slight citrus, plain
  • Black Bear: Black lager, cascadian IPA sans hops, chocolate dirt, charcoal.
  • Kozlov Stout: yeasty, ashy porter. creamy head, nitro-y but not body, coffee nose.
  • Brown Bear: looks like a copper but tastes like a mild brown, no nut.
  • Golden Vanilla: nondescript ale with a lot of vanilla which is overpowering everything else.




I really liked the Meyer but wasn't in a position to bring home a growler nor was it very feasible. They do keep seasonals and a cask so maybe later on. Dinner was at 21st Amendment. A market dish with a great cut of fish, halibut but I forgot, and some glazed vegetables and an asparagus potato mash. I had an oyster stout and the Hop Crisis. Both were good but relatively tame. No significant notes or impressions.



No comments: