Friday, September 24, 2010

More beers.

Some more beers I've had:

  1. Avery Maharaja Double IPA - Heavy bodied, very hoppy, very floral. I wonder if there is a fundamental difference between an imperial and a double. Did not go well with my food, but willing to try it again.
  2. Middle Ages Beast Bitter - Still not impressed with Middle Ages.
  3. Southern Tier Chautauqua Ale - Supposed to be a recreation/homage to a bottle of brew found in the old brewery. Not very good really. Blue collar-hometown charm?
  4. Brooklyn Brewery Manhattan Project - I actually can't remember much about this one. Toasty? Malty? Pretty decent but probably not worth the bottle price.
  5. Brooklyn Brewery Sorachi Ace - Singly-hopped brew. A bit sour. In retrospect, lemons, but I wouldn't have said that without having read about them later. Would like to try more singly-hopped brews.
  6. Stone Anniversary Ale - Super heavy, caramel, malt, toffee, was a bit full to enjoy it, but willing to give it another shot.
  7. Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" - Real hop bitter at the end but not much else going on. Kinda reminded me of a bipolar Goose Island.
  8. Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale - Pretty standard brown ale.
  9. Sam Adams Noble Pils - A seasonal I haven't seen before. A lager but with the spirit of an IPA. Pretty good, and easier drinking than an IPA.
  10. Sam Adams Cream Stout - A solid stout. Less bitter and more chocolaty than a Guinness Extra.
  11. Victory Scarlet Fire - A rauchbier...milder than the Rogue...definitely not my style.
  12. Harpoon Island Creek Oyster Stout - First Harpoon I've had since their IPA turned me off...couldn't taste any oyster, but the bargirl said it was like drinking seawater...tasted a bit of saltiness, but otherwise a reasonable stout.
  13. CB Timmy's Tipple - A cherry chocolate brew from CB, not much to say, a bit flat.
  14. CB Tap Room Rye - I've developed a liking for rye beers, has a nice bite to it. A milder, lighter version of GI Mild Winter.
  15. Great Lakes Brewing Co. Burning River Pale Ale - Meh.
  16. Great Lakes Brewing Co. Commodore Perry IPA - Starts out ok but progressively gets bitter and one-dimensional. Makes me feel like they mixed it up like Kool-aid.
  17. Great Lakes Brewing Co. Edmund Fitzgerald Porter- Pretty good porter. It's not common I have anything good to say about porters but I was already one in on an empty stomach.
  18. Ithaca Ground Break - Had this saison off the firkin which was perfect for the style. But I didn't care for it much.
  19. Dogfish Head Chicory Stout - A run-of-the-mill stout. I still contend that DH is a more pretentious version of Rogue.
  20. North Coast Old Stock Ale - I think I had the 2010 or 2009 vintage? Reminded me of a cross between Thelonious and a barley wine but without so much sweetness.
  21. Bear Republic 11 - First offering. I think I read this the first time it's been offered outside of CA? Pretty tasty.
  22. Dogfish Head 75-minute IPA - Reinforcing my opinion that Dogfish Head is overrated. Too syrupy and not hoppy enough.
  23. Green Flash West Coast IPA - Very fresh and hoppy. Doesn't have the mature floral or body of Goose Island, but pretty damn good in its own right.
  24. Lagunitas Olde Gnarleywine - My first shot at a Lagunitas. Pretty disappointed, but barley wine is a style where I have deeply-rooted opinions. Too hoppy, correspondingly not enough floral, but lacking the sweetness I want from a barley wine even though the residue was sticky.
  25. Rogue John John Ale - Conditioned in the spruce barrels used for their spruce gin. Super fresh tasting, light color, lighter end of medium-bodied, beautiful floral and juniper notes, like drinking a great gin double boilermaker but at a much lower ABV.
  26. Yazoo Pale Ale - Pretty solid, if not generic, pale ale. Everybody and their mother has a pale ale and it's pretty hard to screw up.
  27. Yazoo Dos Perros - BA classifies this as an American Brown even though it's supposed to be a Mexican-style Munich dunkel like Negra Modelo. It's pretty tasty. I'm not well-versed in the style, but side-by-side, I probably wouldn't be able to taste much difference. Dos Perros does taste a little more "brown" than Negra Modelo though.
  28. Lagunitas IPA - Not a bad IPA, pretty refreshing, but missing a little sweetness so it makes the heaviness a little more burdensome than I'd like.
  29. Rohrbach's Robust Porter - A really solid porter. I'm not normally a fan of porters, but I thought this one carried all of itself pretty well.
  30. Dogfish Head Aprihop - So-so IPA.
  31. Brooklyn Buzz Bomb - Don't remember, oops.
  32. Wolaver's IPA - Owned by Otter Creek. Not bad at all. Has kind of a maple-y taste to it, mild hops but still floral.
  33. Blue Point Rastafa Rye - Bright, spicy, fruity, a hint of sweetness. Solid rye and hop flavors.
  34. Bear Republic The Grizz - Imperial brown ale, interesting. Easier-drinking than one might expect from something this dark with 10%ABV. If only it had a nuttier taste.
  35. Great Divide Espresso Oak-Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Strong cold coffee taste, good espresso richness and body. Not too sweet or sticky.
  36. Ommegang Zuur - Flemish brown, tart and earthy. Not bad but I'd prefer Flemish reds.
  37. Sierra Nevada Harpoon IPA - Nice, hoppy beer, a little too carbed, I thought. Had something weird about it though, like the hops didn't open up all the way.

No comments: