Monday, October 17, 2011

Epic Portamarillo.


I have no idea why I bought this beer. After a pretty shit day, all I really want is a solid, hoppy IPA (to be followed with gin and tonics, martinis, or whiskies), but taking a look at the label on this one: "the world's first tree tomato beer". Fuuuuuck. A self-described "sorta-porter" brewed with Tamarillos smoked over NZ Christmas Tree wood chips, oh boy. I guess I bought this because it seemed intriguing at the time and it was a collab brew with none other than DFH. Of course, DFH always does weird stuff. Also, a tiny, barely visible best-by indicates 19.10.11 so cool.

My first sip was really tentative because, gosh, a tomato beer sounds awful. As it turns out, it tastes like a decent, creamy porter. It's a very dark, translucent, ruby red against the light. The overall taste is quite mild, no tomato-y nonsense. The smoked component is subtle but noticeable and pretty tasty without being overpowering like some smoked beers. The center is fairly nondescript, most akin to a porter. I don't normally like porters because I don't care for that thin body and half-assed roasted malts, but this is pretty good. There's also a slight ashy, savory taste. It's smooth and creamy, The finish is somewhat more interesting as it's a bit astringent and hints of chocolate show up around the edges as I feel my tongue drying a bit.

An interesting beer, much better than I had feared. It leaves at a bit of a loss, no idea how to pair or how to follow it.

  • Appearance: Dark but clear; creamy-looking head that subsides a bit but is still mossy.
  • Smell: Couldn't get much out of the nose, typical of porter.
  • Taste: First impression is the smoke but that's mild. Hints of chocolate, ash, and savory.
  • Mouthfeel: Thin but smooth and creamy without frothing. Noticeably astringent on the finish.
  • Drinkability and Overall: 7%ABV so strangely strong for a porter. Both interesting and run-of-the-mill at the same time. Worth a try but not anything I'd pick up again.

No comments: