Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sam Adams Longshot Friar Hop Ale.


Second installation from the Longshot. A viscous, vinous-looking pour into a pint glass. First sip: ugh. What the hell happened here? It is very malty sweet, slightly unripened fruit, and cloying even though it's not a refined sweetness. Supposedly, this guy loves hops and he loves spicy Belgian ales. This has neither. There is some dark ale maltiness in the nose, but the taste is bordering on sour. To be honest, this seems to be either underfermented. or extremely young. Or maybe that sourness is supposed to be a mega-citrus component, but I'm just not feeling it. The more that I think about it, it tastes like some other Belgian-styled beer I had recently, but knows what the name was. Maybe this is just one of those beers.

I wanted to like it, I really did. But there's something not balanced out here. If they said to put some age on it, I would. I'm really missing the hops that were supposed to be in here, too. What gives? I don't even want to finish this bottle. It'd be well enough to piece out for a tasters, but what is it supposed to represent? For sure, this is a higher ABV at 9%, but if that's all you're getting, I'd be happier drinking a bourbon or gin.

  • Appearance: A bit of a golden amber but kind of pissy. Slightly viscous-looking
  • Smell: Super malty with a bit of nondescript, but reasonably fresh, hop aroma
  • Taste: Just too malty, sugar-y, and unusually tart. The hops are nowhere to be found.
  • Mouthfeel: Vinous and sticky. Carbed out by the time I got towards the bottom. Pretty dismal.
  • Drinkability and Overall: It just didn't hit enough marks to be passable. I'm not sure what it supposed to be going on here, but whatever it was, it wasn't for me.

No comments: