Sunday, April 10, 2011

Corned Beef and Cabbage and Colcannon.


I was cleaning out some backlogged links and found a recipe for a corned beef cooked in Guinness so I wanted to try it. Via the glory of related content aggregators, I had a couple St. Patrick's Day-related recipes lined up. I corned beef recipe was from Jaden and it pretty straight forward. The cabbage is reserved and browned in a pan with the carrots and potatoes, which I skipped, and then cooked tender in a couple cups of the broth. I normally put my cabbage in with the beef and it gets super soggy, which I kind of like, but this method leaves the cabbage firm which was also good. I also made some colcannon (from Elise) with a mix of red and Yukon potatoes and wilted red Swiss chard. I left out the creme, only used a little milk and light salt and pepper. Pretty bland, but I wanted to keep it very plain.

I used some more of the corned beef liquid to make some gravy which is pretty good on the potatoes.

No comments: