Thursday, October 28, 2010

Single Hop Best Bitter Tasting.



When I had a taste at bottling, I was a little worried that it was too watery. I pulled a draft from a forced carbed (one week) tap-a-draft. Still kind of watery. It's mellowed a bit and the malt comes in, but I'm used to more full-bodied and hoppier beers. Maybe I was just expecting too much from a straight bitter, which what this is, presumably, as opposed to an ESB, which is what I normally get. The carbing is a little low, though I did tap it a day early.

It's not terrible, but I wouldn't really want to show it off to anyone. It's sessionable in that it has relatively no weight. It's a little like Newcastle, only more unremarkable.

I am undeterred though. I will have to watch my water volume more carefully next time. I had added a little extra in the boil thinking that I would lose some to evaporation and steam, but perhaps that was a bad idea. Also, way more hops. There is also the issue of not letting it condition for very long. Two weeks is the standard, some said 3 weeks. Since beer has to condition anyway, natural carbing is probably the better way to go.

Things to keep in mind for next time. I have a breakfast stout kit already, but I'm planning on picking up a nut brown (always on the search), an IPA that is said to do well with a dry hopping, and a double IPA.

ADDENDUM: It is definitely a session beer. I knocked back 6 pints one night and still felt pretty good.

No comments: