Monday, September 3, 2007

Carnitas. And a messed up layout.

I have Michelle to thank for introducing me to carnitas at Casa Montez. Still the best I've had and one of the best Mexican dishes I've had. The nice thing about this is that pork shoulder is bought in large quantities so lots of cooked and uncooked leftovers which is nice. I bought the smallest one at the store: 5lbs. I ended up using about 2 for this. Oh, and I got the motivation for this from the Simply Recipes version.Braise the pork in water and beef broth. Instead of salsa (which was in short supply at the time), I ended up using a packet of taco seasoning which explains the greasy orange color. Braise for about a million years (about 3 hours). The meat should pull apart easily.




















I grilled some onions and green peppers, fajita style, before throwing in some pork to caramelize. I added a bit of the broth from the braising process to keep the pork from sticking to the pan too much and to give the vegetables some seasoning.



You'll need a massive tortilla for this. (By the way, eating two of these will hurt you.) Add whatever you want, basically. I used shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream, and fresh salsa. The pork keeps fairly well in tupperware and a bit of the broth. I ended up using the leftovers for nachos and pitas.

No comments: