Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Shepherd's Pie. Cottage Pie, actually.

Real shepherd's pie is made with lamb, and cottage pie is made with beef, right? In any case, this is a bit involved as far as casseroles go, but makes a hearty meal. Followed diagram from Cooking for Engineers. Boil chopped potatoes for crust. While that's going, cook some chopped onion and carrot in a pan (didn't see a small bunch of celery at the grocery so I didn't bother) until the onion starts to clear up. I tossed in a pound of ground beef for this and broke it up as it cooked. While that's cooking, finish up the potatoes (mash and season). By then you should be ready to drain the fat off the pan; add some flour (a tbsp or two) to help thicken the gravy later. Then add a can of beef broth. CfE calls for only a cup to their tbsp of flour so adjust accordingly. Let that all simmer down and thicken. I actually went and worked out during this time. When you're ready, pour the pan mixture into a casserole dish. An 8x8 worked perfectly for me. Layer on the mashed potatoes and either fluff or smooth and then use a fork or something to make some cool designs. The peaks will brown and crust in the oven. I also forgot to put in the pats of butter CfE asks for. I think it's fine without and I used butter making the mashed potatoes anyway. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.

It turned out just fine, I thought. Used salt and pepper to taste afterwards, but I'd rather season afterwards than season too much during cooking. I also laid on the potatoes pretty thick so the potatoes not on top but not right on top of the gravy got a weird consistency. Tasted just fine and will get me to eat carrots.

No comments: