Sunday, August 8, 2010

Buffalo Brewfest.


Went to Buffalo Brewfest. It's a pretty strong regional showing and heavily Buffalo locals, though I have to say, I was a little disappointed that most breweries didn't bring out the new stuff, just the standards. Southern Tier was there with Mokah which was awesome to have on tap though the program said they'd have the Oak Aged Unearthly which they didn't (also didn't have the Backburner). For out-of-staters, Stone was there with Smoked Porter and Arrogant Bastard (not Self-Righteous as indicated) and Dogfish Head brought Raison D'Etre and 60 Minute. Victory broke their St. Boisterous tap early on and then tapped out early so I still haven't had a chance to try it. I suppose I'll just have to buy it one of these days. CBC brought a cool beer, Fat Ox; I think it was probably the most exciting thing there.



I didn't pick up much swag as there just wasn't much interesting swag/swag I was interested in. It was also on the ticket system, which, I guess, is now state law. 20 tickets over four hours may not sound like much, but I didn't end up using all of my tickets. For starters, we got in about half an hour after doors which didn't make much of a difference. Two, there just wasn't a whole that I was super interesting in; I've either had it or I don't consider the brewery that impressive. Three, I had to be able to be sober enough to drive home afterward. Four, a couple older folks unloaded their unspent tickets on me and my friend as they made their exits. In comparison, Flour City last year was way better, so I'm looking forward next years (none this year), but this one was also a pretty decent time. It's still a pretty young one, from what I gathered talking to some people, but I'm told it's grown a lot since it's inception. There were also roller derby girls and some older dude's wife dressed as a beer maid.


  • Buffalo Brewpub Amber Ale - I usually don't care much for ambers. This is why. Super thin.
  • Butternuts Porkslap Pale Ale - I love seeing the cans from this brewery. Unfortunately, it tastes like it comes from a can.
  • Custom Brew Crafters Genesee Country Village & Museum Fat Ox Ale - I never knew I was looking for a breakfast beer until I had this. Tastes like delicious iced coffee and super refreshing.
  • Flying Bison Barnstormer Pale Ale - Pale ales have been letting me down lately; no exception here.
  • Long Trail Double Bag - Honestly, I don't remember a thing about this. I just wanted to get a bumper sticker. (They were out.)
  • Wolaver's Brown Ale - Now that GI distributes here, brown ale is now my super-critical agenda. Not impressed.
  • Pearl Street Grille & Brewery Saber's Edge - A double IPA, actually not bad. Floral, crisp, reasonably hoppy without getting heavy.
  • Perla-Chmielowa - Eastern Euro lager. Supposed to be heavy hops. Tastes like water.
  • Troegs Hopback Amber Ale - First taste from Troegs. Here is an amber that I liked.

No comments: