Sunday, January 4, 2009

Chicken and Dumplings.

Oops.


Well, here's finally something non-alcoholic. There should be a lot more like this since I'm not allowed to spend anymore money on booze for a couple months.


Source from Elise. Flour is such a useful, random thing. It makes everything. I'm putting the ingredients for the dumplings here because I haven't figured out a good system for knowing when to use baking soda and when to use baking powder. All I know at the moment is that baking soda goes with chocolate and buttermilk.


  • 2 cups cake flour (can sub all-purpose flour)

  • 2 teaspoons baking powder

  • 3/4 teaspoon salt

  • 2 Tbsp butter, melted

  • 3/4 cup milk

  • 1/4 cup minced fresh herb leaves such as parsley, chives, and tarragon (optional)


Everything is pretty simple and obvious save for making a roux to start the stew base which is foreign to me since I don't make gravy.


The dumplings turned out a little dense but fixable next time. Also, I didn't add salt when making the stock, which I should have done because the chicken ended up a bit bland. In general, I should just start using a little more salt. Chicken and dumplings are also apparently freezable, so we'll see how that turns out.

No comments: