Saturday, January 3, 2009

Magellan Gin.


Well, it looks like I've finally started branching out a little here. Tanqueray has always been my gin of choice, though I've had various well gins and Bombay Sapphire. I was about to pick up another Tanqueray when I thought to look for a genever, a more traditional, Dutch-style gin. I did find one that had "genever" in the name (Boomsma, which seems to have the most favorable reviews for being traditional, so I'll pick it up at some point) but I didn't want to pick it up until I could confirm its origins . In the meantime, I thought that this was the most interesting: Magellan, iris-flavored gin from France.


Somewhat lower in alcohol (88 proof), it's remarkably mild, and, lo and behold, tastes a bit flowery. It's also legitimately blue, unlike Bombay Sapphire, also flavored with iris, which just has a blue glass bottle. I didn't care much for martinis when I had one made with Tanqueray, but this gin would make me reconsider.

No comments: