Monday, July 4, 2011

Karl Strauss Brewing Co.


I went to LA with some folks over Fourth of July weekend and wound up at Universal Studios. I managed to get them to take lunch at the Karl Strauss nearby so I could give their beers a whirl. I wasn't expecting a very good spread from something hanging around Universal, but their tap list was pretty decent. I got a flight to start off.




From left to right:

  • Off the Rails: The imperial version of their Red Trolley, maltier with a charred finish, creamier head, sweet bread.
  • Pintail Pale Ale: Heavy citrus, grapfruit, floral, tea notes. Light body and mouthfeel. A session beer.
  • Red Trolley Ale: A Gold Medal at WBC 2010. Too sweet for a red. Saliva and hop on the finish. Low head and a bit milky. After tasting the wit, I also got toffee.
  • Too Legit Wit: Reminded me of Middles Ages Swallow Wit. Not too spicy in that Hoegaarden way but I did find some nutmeg on the finish.


I also got the Tower 10 IPA to go with my meal, which was a French Dip, I think. It was pretty good, but maybe that's just because I haven't had one in a long time. I apparently didn't write anything down about it. I guess it was only ok then.


No comments: