Thursday, July 28, 2011

Deschutes Twilight Summer Ale.


I've been enjoying my experience with Deschutes, more or less, but I didn't want to focus too heavily on it. After some hemming and hawing, I just went for the sixer, found a loose bottle of the Black Butte and called it good. I also got a Rogue Creamery Anniversary Ale. BA was 504 when I tried to look it up to figure out what it was so I just went for it. I want get a better handle on it and decide whether to review it now or later, depending on what it is and if I want to get extra bottles. Not seeing that Stone Anise around anymore, so I'm glad I bought two when I did. (See this awkward time warp post about it here.) Normally, I'm not one for summer seasonals, but I have a drinking directive, I wanted to round out my Deschutes experience, and a visit to the brewery might find it unavailable.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting much. Summer ales are usually some weird, underwhelming brew, which could be construed as refreshing but most things are when they're cold. There are some exceptions like GI and Sam Adams summer seasonals. And there are those that can be made into seasonals like a hefeweizen or witbier with that citrus fruit wedge. So I was prepared to be underwhelmed, but the color against the light was quite pleasant with an orange hue and exceptionally clear. Hm, looks refreshing already. First taste: initial impression on the palate was tame with the expected flavor but the hop kicked in and I was pleasantly surprised. The hop flavor had some simple development which was even nicer. So here's a summer ale that's not afraid to deliver some flavor and even do it in a civilized, cultivated manner. The bottle I had was only lukewarm; I think it had only recently gone into the cooler at the store, but nevertheless, it was quite good. At a proper temperature, I expect it will only get more crisp. As a bonus, this means the beer will still be good as it warms a bit under the summer sun.

  • Appearance: Super clear, orange hint, fluffy head, taller due to an overzealous pour.
  • Smell: Wheat-y but clean, a bit of citrus to match the orange.
  • Taste: Starts typical for a summer seasonal but the hop kicks in with some citrus and then some nice bittering, not too strong but present.
  • Mouthfeel: Body is smooth, carb is refreshing and even, not too effervescent. Weight is light and good for hot weather.
  • Drinkability and Overall: For a summer beer, all the essentials are there: bright color, light in the mouth without skimping on taste, strong enough on the palate to make it enjoyable to drink. Highly drinkable and would be great for outings, barbecues, sunny weather, and the cooler evenings.

No comments: