Friday, August 5, 2011

Reed's Original Ginger Brew, Ginger Ale.


Picked up a few ginger beers/ales from WF some time ago. I've always like ginger ale (which is what everyone must get from the drink serve on an airplane) and found ginger beer to be rising in popularity lately, but this summer, I have been killing it on the ginger scene. Ginger teas, ales, beers, all pretty good stuff.

Reed's Ginger Ale uses 25% pineapple juice and some honey, lemon, lime, spice and obviously ginger. It is gluten, caffeine, and preservative free. They also add "Fresh Ginger" to the nutritional information on the back. I don't think I've ever seen juice used in a ginger ale. It gives a root-y, earthy taste up front. 17 grams of ginger bring the bite which is fairly mild but long-lasting. Compared to soda ginger ales like Canada Dry, it's less sugary but sweeter in a syrupy way. The lower carbonation might let that be more pronounced here.

I remember Vernor's ginger ale soda being quite good and highly carbonated. I think that's still my favorite ginger ale.

No comments: