Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Sierra Nevada Juniper Black Ale, Camp #16.


I don't drink black ales that often. I suppose that may change as Cascadian darks/IBAs become more developed. I don't think it's a style I come across very often either. From the pour to the bottom of the glass, this was a great brew. As soon as I started pouring, I got a fruity whiff. The head looked good, fluffy and I thought this might be a stout for a moment. First sip was a knockout. Deep and wide, the malt complexity is beyond even a lot of stouts I've had. Tons of coffee, chocolate, cocoa, dirt, all things good and brown. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy without going full-on Guinness Draught nitro. The density is there, just between the standard porter and strong stout. And this is a black ale. Plenty of lacing down the glass. I almost wish they had a little extra sweetness to complement the chocolate, but I'm glad they didn't. It keeps the flavor robust until the very end where there is the hint of milk chocolate. Easily a dessert beer, it'd go with a big, fat chocolate cake pretty well.

  • Appearance: Opaque black. Creamy, fine head with some fluffy die-down, just enough to cover.
  • Smell: Fruity, blueberry, chocolate.
  • Taste: Intense chocolate and black malts, like a strong black coffee. Lots of depth in the malts. The juniper gives some fruitiness to enhance the cocoa and chocolate notes.
  • Mouthfeel: Cream porter-like up front, stout-like on the back. For not being nitro'd it is nearing some smoothness like Guinness Draught.
  • Drinkability and Overall: Well-balanced, flavorful, and complex. It's a hit. Even at 8%ABV, it's just as drinkable as Guinness Draught but more amusing for your tastebuds.


No comments: