Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Sierra Nevada Weizenbock, Camp #37


Man, I am really impressed with these Beer Camp brews. So impressed that I am opting for the last variety in my case, even passing over the bottle of DFH Palo Santo Marron that's been burning a hole in my refrigerator shelf. I'm not very familiar with the style though, and it's a little confusing. Bocks are something of a strong lager. Doppelbocks are obviously double strength bocks. Dunkel/hefeweizen is a dark/light wheat ale (though 'hefe' apparently means 'yeast'). Weizenbock, then, is a bock strength wheat ale.

Yet again, I am impressed by the depth of these beers. Hefe flavors up front, but they get one-upped by the strong spicy wit character that charges onto the palate. A touch of citrus on the back end. Seriously, this is like the all the best parts of Blue Moon, Hoegaarden, and some other great hefeweizen. I'd like to try it next to another couple pours, one with an orange slice and one with a lemon wedge. There is some sediment in the bottle, but I didn't notice until I had finished the pour. At 6.8%ABV, it's a little high for sessioning, but it's full enough that you don't want to pound them down too quickly. A 6-pack of these would make for a lazy afternoon.

  • Appearance: Hazy, dark orange gold. Mossy head.
  • Smell: Yeasty, wheat-y aroma. Very refreshing.
  • Taste: Spicy, Belgian wit profile preceded by a nice hefe impression. Assertive all the way through.
  • Mouthfeel: Full bodied, more than a typical hefe or wit. Carbing seems a bit high but not bite and refreshing. Clean finish, if a bit sheen-y.
  • Drinkability and Overall: At 6.8%ABV, again a little high, but that's par for the homebrew course. As expected: complex, drinkable, refreshing. This is one where I could drink a few without feeling too bad.

No comments: