Sunday, September 18, 2011

Allagash Tripel.


Despite Allagash being from Portland, ME, I am pretty sure I haven't seen it anywhere around me. The bottles I've seen here are pretty interesting, and many are well-rated. It's not often you see high-gravity styles in 12-ounce bottles, so when I saw a 4-pack of Tripel, I picked it up. Also, why is it that oft-elite beers tend to come in 4-packs instead of 6-packs? The only reason I can think of, assuming the shop doesn't break up packs, is that the price point would be too high otherwise. After all, 4-packs of GI BCB Stout and DFH World Wide Stout are both over $20.

Anyway, the fluffy head is leaving some nice lacing and seems to have changed aroma. My first whiff was more ester-y and fruity but now it's bit more spicy. I have to say this first, regarding the carbonation: SON I AM DISAPPOINT. For a tripel, is far too low, maybe low for a dubbel as well. It's pretty malty and creamy though with a strong phenolic character towards the finish. The alcohol is slightly apparent there as it seems to linger a bit, but it's fairly dull. There is a mild undercurrent of fruit, not melons but something similar.

I have to say, Belgian beers challenge my palate the most. Often, I can only say things that are typical of Belgian beers. To say such an appraisal to a person who has never has a Belgian beer is fairly worthless. I took a look at BA and saw that no one is really able to make fine distinctions either. Not that that makes me feel any better but it only validation that I need more work on my palate. Someone else called out mango which I think is the flavor I was trying to identify. Dropping all the key words into twisted sentences does not make a review.

  • Appearance: Alternately pale gold or amber, depending on the backing light. Fluffy head dies down significantly, but leaves some nice lacing.
  • Smell: Fruity at first but picks up some spice as it warms. Towards the bottom, I also got a hint of a tropical fruit.
  • Taste: Bananas, ether-y, phenolic, blah blah blah. Strong malt up front but softens in a creamy sweetness. Mild alcohol on the finish but some kind of fruit that is not a melon but similar. Someone on BA mentioned mango, which seems right.
  • Mouthfeel: Carb is too low. More creamy than effervescent, letting the malts weigh it down a bit.
  • Drinkability and Overall: 9%ABV. The neck label suggests "as an apertif or compliment to a fine cuisine." Should be 'complement'. I would disagree with the apertif as it is not bold enough or effervescent enough to carry its weight. It is a decent, easy-drinking beer however. This is an A-/A- on BA. I would go more like a B+. You can kick at the dirt and say it's an American take on the style, so for that I'll give it a little leeway.

No comments: