Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Moyaln's Hopsickle Imperial Triple Hoppy Ale.


The hoppier cousin to that ambiguously double IPA, brewed with Tomahawk, Chinook, and Anthanum hops. Immediately after breaking the seal, I was greeted with a delicious hoppy aroma, fragrant, fruity, and not stale or pellet-y. That's a really good sign. A slightly dark amber with a persistent head. Even better. First taste was rich, hoppy, complex, long-lasting. There is just a slight sweetness up front to prepare your palate for the hop roll out. Dark, grassy, weedy, but still crisp and distinct. What's remarkable is the balance in this hop bomb. Nothing is blown out; nothing is stale. It's downright refreshing. The finish is exceptionally clean, no residue. I wish I knew what the IBU rating is because I'm only going to be more impressed if they pulled this off at 80-90+.

Hands down, this beer is superior in all ways to its little brother. Everything is right about this beer. I would love to pair it against a Southern Tier Unearthly (which reminds me: I should compile a list of my top IPAs). I'm not sure how I would pair it, but I think it goes pretty damn well on its own. I'm eating it with some sweet potato chips from Food Should Taste Good, and I like the combination. The chips themselves are mild but superbly crunchy; I find the combination of a strong-willed beer and a texture of a silently strong chip to be enlightening. At 9.2%ABV, it is no session beer, certainly, but I wouldn't mind treating it like one.

  • Appearance: Dark, slightly hazy amber, thin but persistent head with heavy curtains.
  • Smell: Sweet, floral and fruit fragrance, hoppy and grassy. Fresh.
  • Taste: Strong hop backbone with plenty of complexity, just a touch of sweetness. Crisp and refreshing, fresh. Very well balanced both between malts and hops and in the hop profile. Lingering hop bitter but does not overstay its welcome.
  • Mouthfeel: Slightly low on the carb, but perfect for the flavor. Clean finish and without heavy resin.
  • Drinkability and Overall: 9.2%ABV but it covers itself well.

No comments: