Monday, September 5, 2011

Bison Chocolate Stout.


I had been sitting on this bottle for a while as I had bought a 6-pack a while ago, drank one, liked it, and then pulled 4 for swag. So I'm finally getting around to it. Bison is already a great brewery in my book. In my experience, the organic gimmick is usually applied at the expense of quality, but Bison pulls it off. This bottle is not as rich and stunning as I remember, but the core quality is still there. It's chocolate-y and as smooth as Guinness without being nitro'd. Aroma is slightly coffee-based. Actually, I'm a little disappointed this time around. I remember it being like a chocolate brownie but this one falls a little flat. Bummer.

  • Appearance: Opaque, typical stout/porter appearance. Light tan head, mostly ring with a little moss.
  • Smell: Mild cold coffee.
  • Taste: Slightly chocolate-y and slightly bready. Not as intense as I remember.
  • Mouthfeel: Very smooth, low carb, Guinness Draught-like. Clean finish and relatively light-bodied.
  • Drinkability and Overall: A pleasant drinking, pleasant tasting stout. It's light enough that it's not going to weigh you down but still flavorful enough that it can pair with a meal. A reasonable 5%ABV.

No comments: