Friday, September 16, 2011

New Belgium Belgo.


I was told WF got the New Belgium Belgo in so I decided to pick up sixer. I was told it's like what it would be if Ranger and Mothership has a baby. I'm a fan of Ranger, so I thought I ought to check it out as long as I'm in range of NB's distro. Plus, NB always has very clean, aesthetically pleasing labels. It looks like Belgo is being represented by a giant disco ball so that's cool.

A quick taste yields and exceptionally spicy taste, very reminiscent of Hoegaarden. Holding it against the light, I would say it's quite clear but there is something suspended in the liquid. No idea what it is, and it doesn't seem to be circulating at all. Classic Belgian aroma but is somewhat milder on that palate. The spice gradually gives way to the hops which brings a slightly out of place bittering. What's interesting is that the spice seems to share the stage with the hops but eventually upstage it.

I'm a big fan of the Belgo IPA style, and so I want to love this beer. However, I can only say that I like it this time around. The Belgo-IPA balance is rather off. That's not to say it's a bad beer; it's certainly not. But it does favor the Belgo character much more than the IPA influence that is typical for this style. Perhaps that's what sets this one apart though. The Belgo IPA is typically cast as an IPA with a Belgo influence whereas this is more of a Belgian witbier with an IPA influence, though it does have the appearance and body of an IPA. At the end of the day, I think this is an interesting beer and a refreshing addition to the Belgo IPA style. As for pairings, I'm going to go with something mildly spicy with Thai basil and an aromatic rice, probably some kind of chicken curry instead of red meat.

  • Appearance: Quite clear and standard color for IPA. There appears to be something in suspension. Head dissipates to partial covering moss.
  • Smell: Strong spice, very reminiscent of witbier, lots of cardamom and anise.
  • Taste: Again, strongly on the witbier/Belgo side. There is a short cameo of the hops but it is dominated by the Belgo style.
  • Mouthfeel: Higher carb than an IPA and even a bit higher than a witbier. Expands quite a bit in the mouth but not overly filling.
  • Drinkability and Overall: A good balance of body and flavor. If you're expecting an IPA, this is not it. An interesting spin on witbier is more like it even though it doesn't look at all like a witbier. Very confusing. Overall, a rather tasty beer for the category and could handle itself well against an appropriate meal or some crackers to soak up some of the spiciness.

No comments: