Saturday, September 3, 2011

Domaine de Canton.


An interesting mini I picked up the other day. The label reads "French ginger liqueur with VSOP cognac". I am a sucker for all things ginger (the spice, not Ron Weasley kind). 28%ABV and a interesting ridged bottle. Seems a bit high for a liqueur. I also decided to break out one of my Glencairn glasses that I had bought back at the beginning of the summer. I thought to use a beer tasting glass, but I didn't want a bunch of text in the way.

The ginger is prominent in the nose but on the taste, it quickly becomes medicinal. It is a liqueur so it's fairly viscous, syrupy, and sweet. I cut it with some Fevertree tonic water. The quinine bitter interacts well with the sweet bite of the ginger. It reminds of St. Germaine but not as sweet. It may be one of those difficult-to-use liqueurs. Still, it's unique to me, and I wouldn't mind having a bottle of this around the bar. Being as it smacks of St. Germaine, it might work well in the same manner of drinks.

No comments: