Tuesday, September 27, 2011

New Belgium Mothership Wit.


My first complaint is that this pale straw colored "organic wheat beer brewed with spices" is too damn clear. The irony of it is that the side of the labels has little pictures to teach you "how to fly the mothership", when there is, in fact, no sediment to swirl. I guess this is just a simulator. I must say this is a curious kind of wheat beer though. It's fairly tart. I suppose that is common to the style, which I am getting confused with other wheat beers. Witbier is a a Belgian/French wheat beer while hefeweizen/weissbier is of German origin. But now that I think about it, Blue Moon and Hoegaarden are witbiers. This does not look like them. It looks more like a filtered hefeweizen. In any case, it is even paler than filtered hefeweizen. It's quite strange.

Maybe the "organic" makes things taste crazy, but this has a crazy taste too. As i said, it's rather tart and sour, relatively speaking. There is some spice bundled up front but it gets shoved around a lot by this vinous character. How turbulent. I am mostly confused about this beer, but I've already drank the other five bottles last week, so I guess it can't be that bad. I will say that I did pass it over a few times, if I had some other option in the refrigerator though. Do what you will with that information.

I just can't find a lot to say about this one, nor can I do it in a cogent fashion, apparently. I want to say there's something kind of mild, unripe and slightly bitter fruit in there or something. It's all very confusing. The carbonation is probably about right for the style, but it doesn't carry well because the rest of it is so light that it might float away. Is that the joke here?

  • Appearance: The palest, clearest beer I've ever seen. Weird tint too. It almost looks watered down.
  • Smell: Can't get much aroma.
  • Taste: Sour and tart. The spice is sort of there but is not very assertive.
  • Mouthfeel: Extremely light and fairly high carb makes for a strange balance.
  • Drinkability and Overall: I don't know if this was from a bad batch or what. When I typed that it looked watered down, I think that really sums it up. Everything about this beer seems really watered down. Combined with the fact that I didn't get any sediment in my bottles, maybe this was a bad batch.

No comments: